are tiny white parasitic worms that live in the bowel. Threadworms are extremely common especially in children.
How can you tell if someone has threadworms?
The most obvious sign of threadworms is intense itching in the anal area, especially at night. If your children frequently scratch their bottoms, suffer disturbed sleep or become irritable, it is worth checking their motions and anal area for tiny white threads. If one member of your family has them it is advised that the rest of the family is checked also.
Threadworms only affect humans, they do not affect pets.
To ensure that you and your family do not infect others or re-infect yourselves you should follow the steps below:
- Keep Nails Short
- Discourage nail biting or finger sucking.
- Wear pyjamas or underclothes in bed.
- In mornings wash thoroughly around the bottom.
- Provide a towel for the exclusive use of each member of the household.
- Change clothes regular
- Change and iron bed linen regularly
- Thoroughly wash hands and nails after using the toilet and before meals.